Congratulations to the LA Kings on winning the 2012 Stanley Cup. Lets be honest we never thought we would be saying that when the Kings scraped into the playoffs in 8th place in the Western Conference. But the Kings took out the hotly tipped Vancouver Canucks, St. Louis Blues, Phoenix Coyotes and the New Jersey Devils to host the mug.
However there are some reasons to like the 2012 champions.
- Assistant captain Anze Kopitar is the first from the Slovenian to lift the trophy.
- The 2012 LA Kings are the first team to go 3 – 0 in each round of the playoffs.
- Even the ’88 Oilers of Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Fuhr et al didn’t go 3-0 in each round.
- It was Kings first championship. Despite joining the league in 1967 the Kings have only managed to make the final on one previous occasion. In 1993 they faced the Montreal Canadiens and despite winning game 1 they lost in 5.
- LA Kings 45th Birthday was the week before they won their first cup.
- Goaltender Jonathan Quick’s Goals against average of 1.33 in the final is the second best posting by a starting goaltender since 2000.